Re: Secrecy of NSA Affiliation

Timothy C. May said:

> At 5:55 PM 1/25/96, Rich Salz wrote:
>
> >Up until recently (18-30 months ago) NSA employees were only allowed
> >to identify themselves as employees of DoD.  It was common knowledge,
> >that unspecific references to Fort Meade meant NSA; and if you saw
> >a P.O. from Procurement Office, Fort Meade, it meant the NSA was buying
> >it.
>
> When I attended Crypto '88, nearly 8 years ago, at least several of the NSA
> attendees had "National Security Agency" on their name badges. It may be
> that run-of-the-mill employees still maintain the fiction  for public
> consumption that they are DOD employees, but such was not the case in 1988
> at "Crypto."

At the RSA conference last week, there were approximately 10 people from
the NSA. Only 2 of those were registered as DOD, the rest were NSA. I
mentioned this at lunch to a guy from the NSA, and he said that only
oldtimers do the DOD identification anymore.

--
Kevin L. Prigge         |"Have you ever gotten tired of hearing those
UofM Central Computing  | ridiculous AT&T commercials claiming credit