Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

> > By not taking adequate steps to inform itself of the Japaneese
 intentions the US
> > suffered the loss of a substantial part of the US fleet at Pearl Harbour.

   I've read that FDR had a humint source warning of a Japanese strike on
Pearl Harbor. I also recall reading that J Edgar Hoover received a report
of a diplomatic conversation detailing the planned attack, but sat on it.

The first was in a monograph which was putting forth the proposition that
FDR  ardently desired to become involved in the war.  By the way, FDR was
the man who made wage income, subject to federal taxation for the first
time.

I don't remember where I read the second.

To me, both stories are plausible.