Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

Perry writes,

>I am a funny sort of person. I don't believe that governments should
>be able to do anything that individuals cannot. If it is bad for me to
>steal, it is also bad for a government official to steal. If it is bad
>for me to listen in on my neighbor's phone calls, it is bad for the
>government, too.

This statement commits the logical falacy of type incompatibility. Sets of
objects are not the same as objects. Organisations of people have different
characteristics to people. To accord the same rights to idividuals is to ignore
the different chaqracteristics of the organisation over the group. In most cases
we would ascribe fewer individual liberties to groups than to individuals. The
individual may have freedom of speech but the government official does not. It
is generally undesirable for military personel to enter into party politics,
thus it is generally undesirable for such people to take part in party political
broadcasts.

On the other hand there are casses in which we would wish to give the government
more power than the individual. We give the government the right to raise
taxation for example.

Thus Perry is not only a funny sort of person, he is also entirely negating the
argument that Mill puts forward in "on Liberty", namely that the interests of
the government and people are not as opposed as might appear, that it is
possible to divide liberties into those which the state must excercise in order
to protect the liberty of the population in general and those which the
individual needs to protect themselves from government and other interference.

If we take Perry's argument seriously we effectively deny the legitimacy of any
government. This is not good for Perry's argument for it is clearly legitamate
to read the mail of a party which is illegitamte [an evil oppressor of the
people, restraint on the exploitation of ecconomic power, restraint on free
capitalism, tool of the borgeoise classes, people of all lands untie! you have
nothing to lose but your chains...]

		Phill