Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

At 20:18 1/25/96, jim bell wrote:

>Now, I was born in 1958 and thus can't claim personal knowledge of the time,
>but it's truly amazing how UNPERCEPTIVE the public must have been in the
>late 40's and early '50s about "intelligence" realities.  Let me give you a
>specific example:  The classic movie, "The Man who Never Was," relates the
>(true) story of a counter-intelligence mission done by the British to (I
>think) mislead the Germans into believing that the attack on Sicily would be
>substantially LATER than it actually was.

The code name for the project was "Operation Mincemeat" and the intent was
to get the defences at Normandy ("Operation Torch" - ie: D-Day) away from
there and transferred to Sicily (which was NOT a D-Day objective) not as
you say to fool them on when the attack was coming. It did its job and much
of the mobile coastal defences were moved out of the area.