Re: Doctor Denning

At 02:52 PM 1/26/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:

>>What I found interesting was the lack of meat behind
>>"Crypto Anarchy is Not Inevitable".  It seemed to boil
>>down to the vacuous "if everyone could just agree that key
>>escrow is a good thing, there would be no problem".
>
>This is the main reason I haven't bothered to rebut her points: there were
>essentially none to rebut.
>
>(There are substantive criticisms of my points that can be made, including
>discussions of what might be done to delay or even head off crypto anarchy
>completely. I had dinner a few nights ago with David Friedman, author of
>"The Machinery of Freedom," and he made some incisive comments about how
>the State might go about heading off this future. I'm glad he's on our
>side, and not the government's.)
>
>Two other reasons I have not sought to rebut her analysis:
>
>First, I doubt many people saw either my original article (available on Bob
>Hettinga's page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/anarchy.html) or
>Denning's reaction article.
>
>Second, I stated my views, she stated her views, not much more to say.
>Especially as she has not had an active presence on the Net, either in
>talk.politics.crypto or in other forums I have seen, and thus a real debate
>on the Net has not been possible.
>
>Mostly I know I can't change her views, so why bother? Other people may
>have their views affected by what I say, and for these people I have
>certainly written enough.

Tim, trust me on this one.  Dorothy Denning doesn't have a PRAYER.  You
already believe it, but I _KNOW_ it!

Jim Bell

Klaatu Barada Nikto.     This will become important...soon

Something is going to happen.  Something...wonderful!

(BTW, the above few lines, which looks like a canned signature, is not.
Careful readers will note that I keep typing it in, which means that it
isn't identical every time.  This should be a clue to all you lurkers out
there that I MEAN this; it's not just an idle macro.

(It also means that I'm going to have to RTFM on my Eudora to do automatic
signatures, but that's an ENTIRELY different story.)