Re: Escrowing Viewing and Reading Habits with the Governmen

 > Do you really think the FBI believes that asking librarians to keep
 > records of customer useage is an efficient way to read the customers minds?
 > Do you really think that the FBI foreign counter-intelligence squad has
 > nothing better to do than keep a database of who is reading Che Guevara
 > memoirs?
>
> Yes.
>
> Heck, I remember this was a big issue about 15 years ago. Try asking
> someone who was active in library science in the late 70's, early 80's.
>
> The general reaction of the library community was, I am glad to say,
> entirely pro-privacy.

Ask Sean at dra.com. The s/w industry even designs library systems
so as to purge data the Feebs might want. That that does not exist can
not be surrendered.

And this is not a cost-free choice to them. There is & will be a
percentage of book vandals. If your circulation system could tell you:
	Who checked out X, Y, Z & T?
You might catch the creeps. But they prefer buying new books to the
alternative....

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]