Re: "German service cuts Net access" (to Santa Cruz)

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> At 04:53 AM 1/28/96 +0100, Alex de Joode wrote:
> >
> >Belgian TV (the dutch language channel) has a page on teletext (Ceefax)
> >[I don't think US tv has that feature] stating that the French backbone
> >is thinking about blocking sites that provide information that they deem
> >ethicly unacceptable, like sites that promote the denial of Konzentrations
> >Lagers, the extreme right, pornografic and pedophile sites.
> >
> >[page 128 BRTN, for those who can receive BRT]
>
> What about "the extreme left."  Don't those people deserve to be blocked
> too?  And how about US radio stations on RealAudio 2.0.  Cultural
> Imperialism.
>
> So how do we overcome these "backbone blocking" maneuvers?

Simple. It's been done.

We will organize reasonable mirrors of any site not involved in overt
law-breaking that is actively blocked by any "Major Indistrial Democracy."
I don't think I'm quite ready to take on Cuba, China, North Korea, etc.
Disk space and bandwidth are increasingly cheap these days.

Go ahead. Make my day. You want to firewall every educational and
non-profit organization in what's left of the free world?

-rich