Re: "Concryption" Prior Art

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Bill Stewart wrote:

> >>However the Con-cryption patent covers first compressing, then
> >>encrypting.
> >
> >Isn't that how PGP does its thing (first compress the data and then feed it
> >into the Encryption Stage)? PGP is prior art in-and-of-itself.

	no way is that patent valid. I have prior art going back into the
    early 80s where I converted the standard compress into a stream processor
    followed by a stream encryption engine --obviously the reverse as well.

	now, that's back in time when I had two 750s in my garage and 9T
    tape! I've had it on the list to find for some time; I still have
    two tape drives (one will hopefully still work) and an old uvaxen
    which I saved for such emergencies. It also might be on tapes from
    my then current desktop: a Sun 2!

	At the moment, I'm not terribly interested in the problem, but
    will be, hopefully soon. Basically, if it comes to that, they had
    better have their act ready to pay litigative costs  --I do my own
    (with a perfect record, better than patent attorneys I have hired),
    and I rather enjoy playing by the rules of the law, rather than playing
    by the game rules of the bar.

	and, I do not believe I am alone; there are others who have used
    stream processing for that purpose.  I started playing with rsa
    shortly after in was published in SA in 1977 --however, significant
    computing power was not cheap at that time --seems to me I paid
    about $30K for an 11-44 with 2 rl02 drives!

> Peter Wayner posted that the "new" thing about the way they do it is
> that it saves time by combining the steps.  But I think I've seen
> approximately the same done with arithmetic-coding compression?
> #--
> #				Thanks;  Bill
> # Bill Stewart, [email protected], Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
> #
> # "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty" used to mean us watching
> # the government, not the other way around....

    go not unto usenet for advice, for the inhabitants thereof will say:
      yes, and no, and maybe, and I don't know, and fuck-off.

    To be a ruler of men, you need at least 12 inches....
    There is no safety this side of the grave.  Never was; never will be.