Re: Phil Z getting through customs

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Brad Shantz wrote:

> I was asked if I had any eggs.  I still don't know why.

bad answer: No, I'm post-menopausal.

Most countries strictly regulate the import of any kinds of produce. This
is to try and prevent the introduction of new pests and diseases; the
controls are even stricter for livestock, especially in the UK (which
would like to remain rabies free).

When I was a student and had long hair, I used to always get questioned
when going throught customs. After graduating, and having normal length
hair, I had a lot less trouble. Long serving customs officers develop
models of characteristics that in the past have been indicative of
smuggling or wrong doing. Given that most points of entry are
under-staffed, there's not much else they can do.

The strictest customs I've been through is at Lod (Tel Aviv); there the
assumption is that everybody is going to try and bring in at least
some sort of radio/fax machine to avoid the high taxes, so they check all
baggage. They do have the best security team in general though, so it
balances out.

Simon