Re: Why is blowfish so slow? Other fast algorithms?

At 02:00 AM 1/22/96 -0500, David Mazieres wrote:
>Failing that, can anyone suggest other secure, preferably unpatented,
>shared-key encryption algorithms that could encrypt at ethernet speeds
>(1 MByte/sec) without using most of the CPU on a fast Pentium or
>equivalent processor?

RC4 is of course unpatented and faster than anything else.
Of course the name RC4 is trademarked, so you could simply
call it "the well known algorithm" in your documentation
and give the algorithm explicitly.

RSA's present legal gimmicks seem to me to be based on the "trade secret"
that RC4 really is the well known algorithm, so if you refrain from
using the name "RC4", you should be OK.  (I am not a lawyer.)

>Thanks a lot,
>David

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   [email protected]