Re: Anti-Nazi Authentication [Was: Tim's paranoid rant about Declan...]

 An entity calling itself "Declan B. McCullagh" <[email protected]>
 is alleged to have written:

> Now, this guy copied that file from my web site. Fine -- it was up for
> FTP. But editing my comments to *support* Neo-Nazis and leaving my name
> is just fucking too much. I've sent him polite mail requesting a change.
> We'll see what happens.

Polite?  You show more restraint than most of us would
I suspect.  Actually it is probably a good tactic for the
first encounter.

> Cypherpunk relevance? Authentication for web pages. There's no reason
> for a reasonable person to believe, at first glance, that I was *not*
> the author.

It is possible to PGP-clearsign web pages using comments.
PGP's insertion of "- " before any line beginning with "-"
might cause a problem, but you'll just have to be a little
more careful.  I'm considering hacking up a "PGP verification
service" web page which will accept a PGP-signed URL,
retrieve it, verify it, and report the results.  Of course
I'll make it clear that this service is very susceptible to
active attacks.

On a related topic it would probably be wise for you to
clear-sign your mail, Declan.  Establish a public key with me,
and next time I see mail from you saying "I've been reading
about this 'the Holocaust was a hoax' stuff and it's actually
kind of convincing." I'll know where to lay the authorship of
the words...  :-)

Regards,

Bryce

                 "Toys, Tools and Technologies"
        New Signal Consulting -- C++, Java, HTML, Ecash

PGP sig follows