Re: Anonymity -> Untraceability -> High Latency?

At 9:19 AM 2/2/96, Nelson Minar wrote:
>I've been trying out various mechanisms for anonymity: remailer
>chains, HTTP proxies. There's one problem that makes them inconvenient
>to use regularly: latency.

"Latency" is not necessary for mix security. What is important is the
number of messages mixed together in the mix. If it is desired that N = 10
and only 10 messages are entering the mix per hour, then, on average, the
mix must wait an hour. E.g., "latency = one hour." If however, 100 messages
are entering the mix per hour, then "latency = 6 minutes."

>A good Type I remailer chain takes at least an hour to deliver email,
>instead of the 15 seconds I'm used to. Mixmaster-style takes even
>longer; the delay is important to the security of the system.

None of these points is necessarily true.

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!