Re: Proxies

Tim> At 9:46 PM 2/2/96, [email protected] wrote:

>> I keep hearing references to 'proxies' as a method of anonymity.
>> The only information that I've been able to find, deals with
>> firewalls on networked systems.
>>
>> Are 'proxies' applicable to personal PCs using browsers, such as
>> Netscape?

Proxies aren't any use towards anonymity on a single user system.
They can be very useful on a network, regardless of whether a firewall
exists or not.

>> Would appreciate any info or leads to information sources.

Tim> A quick look with Alta Vista for the string "web proxy" reveals
Tim> 25 articles on Usenet and 200 on the Web, with some of them
Tim> containing further pointers, definitions, and other helpful
Tim> information.

For one-stop shopping I recommend Delegate, written by Yutaka Sato
<[email protected]>, available from
	ftp://etlport.etl.go.jp/pub/DeleGate/

It should run on any reasonable Unix system.  Most of the
documentation is in Japanese, but there is enough in English to get it
up and running.

Regards,
--
[email protected] baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.