Re: Sometines ya just gotta nuke em-and nuke em again

"Neither the atomic bombing nor the entry of the Soviet Union
into the war forced Japan's surrender. She was defeated before
either of these events took place."

     General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at
Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material success in our war
against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to
surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the
successful bombing with conventional weapons. ... My own feeling
was that in being the first to use it, we adopted an ethical
standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages."

     Admiral William Leahy, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

"The Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to
hit them with that awful thing... I hated to see our country be
the first to use such a weapon."

     General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower

These statements by the Allied military commanders were not
deeply buried in graduate school libraries or military archives.
They were widely printed and discussed in the media during last
year's discussion over the Enola Gay exhibit at the Smithsonian
Museum.

Now the mere fact that the Allied military commanders all agreed
that the nuclear bombings were unnecessary does not automatically
mean that the commanders were correct. Theoretically, J.A. Donald
and T.C. May might have a greater understanding. But both Donald
and May must justify this hypothesis with evidence and logic, not
mere assertion.

Thus, J.A. Donald was perfectly free to write in Message-Id:
<[email protected]> on Feb. 03 22:20 that:

"Paralax does not know shit from beans.  He presumably imagines
that Tim is 'embarrassed' because Tim's knowledge of the
historical facts differs from those facts dreamed up by the usual
crew of apologists for totalitarian terror."

In what way and to what extent did General of the Army MacArthur,
the senior Allied commander in the Pacific Theater not "know shit
from beans?"

In what way and to what extent was MacArthur one of the "usual
crew of apologists for totalitarian terror?"

In what way and to what extent did Chief of Staff Leahy not know
"shit from beans?"

In what way and to what extent was Leahy one of the "usual crew
of apologist for totalitarian terror?"

In what way did General Eisenhower especially not know "shit from
beans" about this issue, given his access to all available
information when he was President?

In what way and to what extent was President Eisenhower one of
the "usual crew of apologists for totalitarian terror?"

J.A. Donald seems particularly taken with the originality and
accuracy of the phrase "shit for beans" to reflect certain states
of philosophical and historical knowledge for he repeated it in
his next message Message-Id:
<[email protected]> on Feb. 3, 22:09 where he