Re: RC2 protected by copyright?

>RC2, though, as 256 bytes of seemingly random data at the head of it,
>in a permutation table.  This is clearly not any idea, but a bit of
>text.  This text would have to be copied to any interoperable RC2.
>(You could surely use some different permutation, and probably most
>of the 256! permutations would be equally secure, but would not
>interoperate with RC2).  I would expect that this copying of text be
>held to be a violation of copyright.

What about "merger"?  If there's only one way to write a table to make it
interoperable, could it be ruled that the idea has merged with its expression
and thus be legal to copy?
--
Ken Arromdee ([email protected], [email protected];
    http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~arromdee)

"Snow?" "It's sort of like white, lumpy, rain." --Gilligan's Island