Re: Dealing with Credit Reporting Agencies...

At 09:31 AM 2/5/96 -0600, Karl Ike wrote:
>Attila: I'm not in the business of running or hiding. I'm just an average,
>everyday working guy that doesn't like credit reporting agencies, what they
>stand for or what they do for money. I didn't say that I was going to do
>this. I just had the idea! I don't have the knowledge or the money to spend.
>That doesn't mean that there is someone out there that would jump at the idea.
>
>I just don't like the idea that these assholes know more about me than my
>mother and sell my private and personal information to anyone for big bucks.
>My credit is fine, just ask my banker or better yet, my mom.
>
>I am assumming that you know far more people on the internet since I have
>only been on for a month and have done three e-mail. I'm just suggesting to
>get the idea out and someone will take the ball and run. Yes, they will be a
>hunted man, but not a US citizen. Someone out there with a laptop and a
>cellular, living on a cruise ship, just may enjoy the idea.
>
>Just me, Karl

Well Karl, It seems I missed your idea/solution in this post, however, some of
us figured this out some years ago... I begin a campaign almost 10 years ago
of feeding the computers false information about myself. I never use the Social
Insecurity Number assigned to me... I don't even give it to the Bank. This makes
for some rather dicey situations. I rarely use my real name or give out my real
phone number. At this point in my life... I have *NO* credit history. I currently
have *NO* bank account. My goal is to be completely invisible to the system.
Yes I have had a few glitches in this plan from time to time... but I continue to
work on it.

I just have never felt warm and fuzzy knowing that any government agency,
business, or whoever can get my personal information off a computer could come
knock on my door some dark night. If you're interested in fortifying your privacy,
I can give you a few pointers.

1.) Go to your local DMV and inform them you've had a change of address. I
     selected a high rise apartment building with 15 floors and selected an address
     on a non-existant 23rd floor. Getting your Driver's License address changed
     should cost less than $10.00.

2.) Go find a company like "Mail Boxes Etc." and rent a mailbox. The cost is
     nominal compared to the added privacy and security. The distinction between
     a mailbox and a Post Office Box is with a mailbox you have an actual street
     address. You can receive deliveries from UPS and Federal Express at a
     mailbox. You can't at a P.O. Box.

3.) This part requires some skill... befriending a graphic artist is a good idea for
     this one. But what you need is a phony work identification.  Pick a name! A
     couple of "Pass Port Photos" and some lamination and you're good to go.

4.) Take your new persona down to your local utility companies and get the serv-
     ice switched to the name of your new persona. Even get your phone switched
     and have the number non-published. You'll be pleasantly surprised from now
     on, everytime your phone rings, it will be someone you really want to talk to.

5.) Go down to your local Post Office and file a change of address form. Use the
     address of your mailbox. Remember, most companies that provide Mailbox
     service, will need to see your drivers license... which of course now has a
     non-existant address on it.

You can take this as far as you want... Just doing these 5 things will give you a
sense of comfort and security you've probably not had in a long time. How does
this fit into cyperpunks and encryption? The philosophy is the same! What good
is it encrypting your messages to ensure your privacy when everything else is
exposed! It's a lot like an Ostrich burying his head in the sand to hide, but leaving
all his good parts exposed!

        Benjamin T. Moore, Jr.
        [email protected]
        (Jian #AJF IRChat)