Re: The Communications Decency Act

[email protected] wrote:

>Why The Communications Decency Act passed, or
>Follow the money
>
>	There's been a lot of commentary the last few days about this
>bill, this strange creature, seemingly of the 'Christian Right.'  Talk
>of how and why its unconstitutional, protests; web pages blackened.
>But, oddly, no one seems to have examined who pushed the bill through
>Congress, or why.

>But where
>does that leave the big guys?  ABC, NBC, CBS??  Can they survive in
>this brave new world which the net threatens to be?
>
>	By and large, they looked at themselves, and saw they could
>not.

At last!  Somebody bringing up the topic!  I am quite recent on CPunks,
but I've been trying to push that point on alt.security.pgp and alt.privacy
some time ago.

After several try at it, I dropped the subject.  I couldn't believe that nobody
considered this explanation to the CDA.  The thought that many so-called
"free speecher" were actually hired by the big media to create a big fuss
among net users over the "porn vs religious" issue just to act as a diversion
even crossed my mind!

JFA