Re: V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

At 10:18 PM 2/11/96 -0800, Alan Olsen wrote:
>You have to remember that most of the people arguing for TV filters are
>looking for a way to make the "offensive" stuff go away for good.

Absolutely!  But the technology that lets individuals make the choice
weakens their argument that the government must take a hand.

>The v-chip will be less than useful as a real filter tool for those of us
>who have a different worldview than the censors.

Again, absolutely.  Hell, I can't even devise a filter that will let me
filter out Jim Bell's rants while letting me see his reasoned arguments on
anonymous assassination.  (I would love to have him address the Salman
Rushdie issue, a man who is still alive despite a considerable announced
price for his head.  There appear to be limits to who can be subject to
assassination for pay.)

Bill