Firewall USA to Firewall China

>Q: The Chinese government has declared its intention to filter out
>  what it considers to be objectionable material from the Internet. If
>  you were a consultant for the Chinese government, what technology
>  would you recommend that they use to do that?

Multiple layers would probably do it:

1) Acces only to/from sites with which they have a formal agreement
2) Using secure channels
3) With good application filters (could be created - that I do not know
   of anyone who has is irrevelant - MIMEsweeper is a start.)

Mostly it depends on how seriously they want to block certain kinds of
traffic and what of the I'net's capabilities they are willing to give up
to achieve that goal.

Now before I get flamed again, please understand that I separate what *can*
be done from what *should* be done. This is a "can" and is also considering
the fact that a sovereign nation has the *right* to do this unless it gives
up that right. A US company also has that right where it pertains to their
property unless again they give up that right (see: common carrier).

					Warmly,
						Padgett

ps wife informed me that when traffic backs up, it is ok to leave a hole for
   cross traffic to use but if you make any sort of gesture to indicate that
   is what you have done, *you* become liable for the cross traffic's actions.
   Absurd, no ?