Re: META: Filtering/Posting advice

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Leslie Todd Masco wrote:

> "I have a concern..."
>
> Cypherunks
> First: Stipulated that any traffic has a 'right' to be on cypherpunks.
> However, cypherpunks is what we make it.  Every time you post a message,
> consider the desirability of seeing a hundred or so messages just
> like it from every other readers' point of view.  Content control begins at home.
>
> Second: I'll remind the reader that one can easily evaluate an
> individual's past contributions to cypherpunks by looking at the archives'
> "by author" listing.  If you post to cypherpunks, I'd suggest that you
> how other people on the list see you.

There are options for those that don't want to read the noise.  I do run
a free filtering service, it's certainly not the best in the world, but
it's available for free and all who want it.  There are two more that I
know of, one for free the other for pay.

I'd like to filter the stuff I send according to topics, but I haven't
yet written the tools to do so.  As it is most of my subscribers are
happy with the crappy service I provide, much happier than having the
whole list delivered to them.

Personally, I am interested in reading the whole list because even some
of the noisy messages are worth reading (except for Perry's "This don't
belong here" and *PLONK*'s. :)

So there are options for those who want less noise.  I do not beleive it
is anyone's place to banish anyone from posting to the list, nor grading
a person's worth based on past posts.  Remember that the cypherpunks list
is after all headless and should remain that way.  The whole point is to
have an anarchic, leaderless, moderatorless list.

Now some Cpunx do have reputations for being on the ball.  Tim and Hal
being two such punx.  That doesn't make them moderators, nor does it make
them the only voices worth listening to, nor does it make them infallible
or on-topic all the time either.

Yet were to to instill a fascist moderated list, their voices would be
squelched by definition of what doesn't fit.  Not a cool thing IMNSHO.

Certainly there are cross overs ranging from news bites to Mitnik to
conspiracy-paranoia-punks, etc.  I don't mind reading some of the shit to
get to the good bits.  You never know, even the shit messages have some
worth in the long run.

"If you filter, filter it yourself for yourself" is what I agree with.
Now some folks think that the stuff I filter for them is exactly or close
to what they want or better than having to do it themselves.  Fine by me,
I'm happy to filter stuff for them.  As much as I'd like Perry to cut the
shit and write code instead of spamming the spammers, I'd rather have to
put up with the shit than to put up with restrictions on the list.

Just my e$0.02. :)

[Shameless plug: to subscribe to my list, send a >PRIVATE reply, don't
reply such that the message will reach [email protected] with the
subject being either "FCPUNX HELP" or "FCPUNX SUBSCRIBE" and no quotes...

The 'bots that subscribe folks will refuse any subscription attemts that
come via the actual cypherpunks list. :]

 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian |Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness|  _ |>
  \|/  |[email protected]|is cleanliness  and cleanliness is god-|  \ |
<--+-->|                 |liness and god is empty,  just like me,|   \|
  /|\  |    Just Say     |intoxicated  with the maddness,  I'm in|   <|\
 + v + | "No" to the NSA!|love with my sadness.   (Pumpkins/Zero)|   <| n
===================http://www.dorsai.org/~sunder/=========================

[This Bible excerpt awaiting review under the Communications Decency Act]
And then Lot said, "I have some mighty fine young virgin daughters. Why
don't you boys just come on in and do em right here in my house - I'll just
watch!"....Later, up in the mountains, the younger daughter said. "Dad's
getting old. I say we should do him." So the two daughters got him drunk and
did him all that night. Sure enough, Dad got em pregnant....Onan really
hated the idea of doing his brother's wife and getting her pregnant while
his brother got all the credit, so he whacked off first....Remember, it's
not a good idea to have sex with your sister, your brother, your parents,
your pet dog, or the farm animals. [excerpts from the Old Testament, Modern
Vernacular Translation, TCM, 1996]