Re: CDA Yes Votes; Collection

jim bell <[email protected]> said:

jb> At 04:12 AM 2/17/96 GMT, John C. Randolph wrote:

>> I also consider myself a hard-line libertarian, and I'm not going
>> to second guess Truman on the use of the bomb.  His duty was to
>> save American and allied lives.  He had no duty whatsoever to limit
>> the destruction that was visited upon the japanese mainland,
>> particularly in view of the fact that Japan's war against the
>> United States of America began in an unprovoked, suprise attack.
>>
>> Japan suffered for allowing their government to run amok.  So did
>> Germany.  Germans who were paying attention during the thirties
>> fled their country, and those who were unfortunate enough to be
>> trapped, and yet still loved freedom, became members of an
>> anti-NAZI underground.
>>
>> Japan, Germany, Italy, and other countries like Iraq, where people
>> place obedience to their leaders above their own moral
>> responsiblity, will suffer mass destruction.  Think of it as
>> evolution in action.  -jcr

jb> On the other hand, there may be an alternative...

	And that alternative was killing many hundreds of thousands of
people, Americans and Japanese, military and civilians, in an invasion
of Japan.  Have you looked at how many Japanese soldiers fought to the
death while the US was 'island hopping' toward Japan?  Do you think
that they would have been less willing to fight to the death when it
was the home islands themselves?  Especially since many of the
military leaders were arguing against surrender after the _second_
bomb was dropped?  Sorry, but 'war is hell'.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
Unsolicited email advertisements will be proofread for a US$100/page fee.