Credit cards - Privacy - Unique Situation

Being a British guy recently moved to the USA, I may be in a unique
situation in being able to protect my privacy, and I was wondering if
fellow cypherpunks may be able to give me some hints in being to "protect"
myself...

Since my SSN is barely a month old, since I don't yet have a credit card
over here, since I won't (yet?) be in many of those beloved databases, what
steps can I take to "hide" myself before it's too late? Too all intents and
purposes, I have metamorphed from a newborn US baby into an adult,
overnight. Thus I have an SSN, I pay tax (etc), but I'm not on anyone's
direct mailing lists.

Are there certain things I can do and say to absolve myself from being
assimilated into the thousands of pointless and harmful databases out there
in the USA? When and where and why do I have to give my SSN to seemingly so
many?

HELP!

Thanks,
/rickt