Re: Using lasers to communicate

At 10:44 PM 2/17/96 -0500, SINCLAIR  DOUGLAS N wrote:
>> If you have a secure link you don't need encryption.  Arguably, the
>> converse is true; if you have secure encryption you don't need
>> a secure link.  Isn't the ability to transmit secure data over
>> insecure channels one of the primary justifications for encryption?
>>

>Of course.  My point, though I seem to have failed to state it,
>is that encryption is a cheap software thing while laser beams
>are expensive, complicated, and still not secure.

Ah yes, but software without hardware doesn't do much.  Wires are
expensive, and in many places you can't string them across public
right-of-ways.  The distance from my house to my neighbor across the street
is less than 200 feet.  I suspect some form of optical link would work
fairly well.  I also think it would be hard to tap.

I think my point is, don't throw something out of your tool bag just
because you can't use it everywhere.

Bill