Re: A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Dave Farber wrote:

> The President can not rule anything unconstitutional. He can tell justice
> not to enforce it but sometime local federal prosecutors do what they want

U.S. Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the President.  U.S. Attorneys
cannot fire their Assistants -- they can only recommend such action to
the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General.

EBD

> and some future administration can decide to enforce it. Only the courts or
> the congress can change things for sure.
>
> Dave
>
> At 03:20 PM 2/17/96 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> >[email protected] said:
> >>
> >>j> 1.  President Clinton declared CDA unconstitutional and directed
> >>j> the Justice department to refrain from enforcing it.
> >
> >At 01:57 PM 2/16/96 -0600, Sten Drescher wrote:
> >>	Then why is the Justice Department defending it?
> >
> >Sorry:  My error.  As you pointed out he ruled *part* of the
> >CDA unconstitutional -- a part that no one expected to be
> >enforced anyway
> >We have the right to defend ourselves	|   http://www.jim.com/jamesd/
> >and our property, because of the kind	|
> >of animals that we are. True law	|   James A. Donald
> >derives from this right, not from the	|
> >arbitrary power of the state.		|   [email protected]

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!