Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Lucky Green wrote:

> At 17:22 2/20/96, IPG Sales wrote:
>
> >If you are able to break the system, and everyone knows what we mean by
> >break, then we will publicly admit that we are snake oil salesmen, and
> >all the other things that Perry Metzger and others called us.
>
> It is by no means clear to me what "breaking the system" means. One does
> not have to be able to decipher a single message to prove a system to be
> insecure. Moreover, cryptanalysis is economics: is it more expensive to get
> the information by analyzing the crypto than it is to get it by other
> means?
>
> Do we have to show an exploitable flaw? Or we have to do the exploit? That
> might be expensive. Who would judge the contest?
>
> The alogrithm aside, IPG provides the intial OTP. Seems to me that IPG can
> read the messages. End of story.
>

> -- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]>
>    PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Lucky - you know the answer to that, several people have access to Cray's
and the like - you must prove that we have an exploitable flaw, not
just claim it - everyone claims it smokes and mirrors, why are you not willing
to  go ahead and decipher a message - everyone claimed it was so easy -
why are the cypherpunks so quite all of a sudden, we have been getting
about 5 messages an hour up until we accepted Dereks challenge - now we
have not received any messages for over five hours until we received
yours. If it is so EASY, JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT!