Re:

>> This looks completely, totally, and insanely bogus, but I need some
>> kind of verification for this bizarre little piece of mail that
>> somehow ended up in my mailbox.
>
>If you really need verification, there's no one with the last name of
>"Dereksen" on MIT's directory (which lists students and staff; "finger
>[email protected]"), and there's certainly no departments at MIT called
>the "Main branch" or "Interconnected Network Maintenance staff".
>
>At least this one is funny.  I particular like the beginning: "It's
>that time again!"

And BTW, since they told you to disconnect your machine from the net,
*where* exactly are they gonna find "lost e-mail" ?  Lying around
*clogging* telephone wires and optical fibers?  :-)

I can just picture the usual disclaimer:
WARNING: FIRE HAZARD!
if you let old, undiscarded e-mail accumulate in your modem/computer
it might catch fire!  E-paper is just as flamable as the regular one...

ROTFL!
**** NEW PGP 2.6.2 KEY *********
This key is actually suspended, as of Feb, 16 1996, was never distributed,
and might be subject to deletion.  Sorry for the trouble my mis-management might have caused.

2048 bits Key ID:24201BA1 1996/02/13 Jean-Francois Avon <[email protected]>
Key fingerprint =  23 B6 24 31 86 67 FB 35  C7 A7 AF 12 A1 61 E9 3D

**** OLD KEY: DO NOT USE ANYMORE UNLESS FOR VERIFYING SIGNATURES ****

1024 bits Key ID:57214AED 1995/10/04 Jean-Francois Avon <[email protected]>
Key fingerprint =  84 96 76 AE EB 7C AB 15  88 47 87 B0 18 31 74 9F