Re: Internet shutdown Feb 29?

On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

> Yeah, from several of ISP's and others (including one un-named government
> organization that wanted to FAX us the message, for security reasons,
> didn't want to send it over the network).

As a matter of interest, I wonder how much of the internet could be
shut down by concerted effort; obviously individual services can be
trivially disabled by jamming listen queues (not really stoppable by
anything short of IPSEC w/photuris). The BGP backbone could probably be
disabled from within by a traitor planted in one of big companies, and a
confused backhoe around the MAEs could probably do a lot more damage than
people would like to admit. It seems that the internet is getting pretty
brittle- I wonder if it would be worthwhile having some sort of infranet
with a bunch of backups links using dial-up lines or spare transponders
(with a filter to block port 80 :-)

It's probably not possible with  todays routing technology
(slow, flappy links with nightmarish convergence times), plus it's not
sexy like a nice OC-12 SONET. This is the sort of thing the NCSC should
be working on- something to keep the essential services flowing in the
early stages of an info-war, or an info truck-bomb

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO