Re: Numbers don't lie...

At 11:18 AM 2/18/96 -0500, A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security wrote:
>The second point is that their scalability seems to be based on costs per
>chip alone, cost for which the engineering cost has been recovered and for
>which the yeild is significant, hardly givens when you are talking pushing
>the state of the art, given this 200 Mhz Pentiums would be U$10.00 also
>(well, maybe U$25.00).

Doubtless that is why they assume chips that are very far from state of the art:

Since interprocess communication is trivial for key cracking,
you are better off using large numbers of cheap chips, than
smaller numbers of good chips.

>Finally, no cost is allocated to the sustem required to program/evaluate
>the ponderings of these 100's of ASICs. As anyone who has ever programmed
>a massively parallel computer (which is what they are talking about in their
>brute force machine, it is the boundary communications that kill you.

Again:  Interprocess communication is trivial.  A brute force key cracking
machine is *not* a general purpose massively parallel computer.

Suppose you have a million chips.  Each chip tries keys.  A few bytes
of the plaintext, headers and stuff are known.  Assume eight bytes known.
Then we could handle the interprocess communication with a single desktop
computer.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   [email protected]