Re: (Fwd) Gov't run anon servers

From: [email protected] (Jim McCoy)

> Hal Finney writes:
> [...]
> > And even then the information is in memory.  An attacker who could
> >gain root privileges (and let's not pretend that the NSA can't do that)
> >can dump memory and later comb it for the key information.
> >

> "Security is economics"  -E. Hughes
>
> The point is not to make a system which is absolutely, positively, no
> doubt about it, secure against any attacker.  If cypherpunks could do
> this they would be working for defense contractors and others who make
> certified systems.  The objective is to make a system which is difficult
> to attack, one which costs the attacker time/money.  After securing
> a host against the obvious attacks one can turn to the esoteric ones
> such as you present: move the key to kernel memory and remove tools
> for accessing or manipulating that area, run the memory-space encrypted
> and do not let it dump the contents to disk, etc.  Systems which
> have been certified to high Orange book levels already exist, so there
> are obviously solutions to the problems you present.  The tools and
> tricks of these systems just need to be migrated into systems which
> people actually use.

I was speaking of present conditions.  If and when proven-secure Unix
systems start being used as remailer servers on the net then it may be
worthwhile having a larger key.

The point is that there is no advantage in strengthening an element of
the system which is not its weakest link.  Factoring my remailer keys
of 510 bits is not, I am sure, the easiest ways of finding the secret
keys.

> Then remember that remailers gain strength in numbers.  The more
> remailers you chain your message through the better your chances of
> passing through a single node which is not compromised, at which
> point your message has been "mixed."  As long as it is easier for
> someone to create new remailers than to break existing remailers
> we are winning.

It's not clear that this is the case, though, is it?  What is the rate of
creation of new remailers?  It doesn't seem that high to me.  We can't
know how quickly they are being broken, but it is just a matter of
getting root privileges on the remailer machine.  From what I hear of the
capabilities of experienced hacker/cracker types, it is very possible
that remailers are being broken faster than they are being created.  Of
course, there is no way to know.

> >My point remains that strong keys are pointless for remailers which run
> >on Unix systems connected to the net.
>
> "Insisting on perfect security is for people who do not have the
> balls to live in the real world"  -paraphrased from M. Shaefer
>
> You give far too much credit to the potential attackers.  One advantage
> that unix systems connected to the net have over your hypothetical
> PC at home is the advantage of persistence, what is the point of
> running a remailer if it is never up, or only up when you need to use
> it?  Traffic analysis of that particular node becomes a pretty easy
> task :)

I meant that the home PC system would have an ongoing connection to the
net, perhaps in the form of periodic uucp or POP connections.  By using
batching, traffic analysis would be no easier for such a system than for
any other.

> The unix hosts running remailers also have the advantage in
> that they have been subjected to attack for quite a while now and
> most of the obvious problems (and some of the non-obvious problems)
> have been fixed.

I am not sure what you mean by this.  My experience is that new CERT
advisories come out every few months which represent security holes big
enough to steal remailer keys.  The most recent one, out just a couple
of weeks ago, is a bug in sendmail and maybe some other programs which
could allow remote users to get root access if they have access to a
DNS server:
ftp://cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-96.04.corrupt_info_from_servers

Even if a remailer host operator is on the ball and fixes each one as
it is announced, he still was vulnerable before the announcement was
made.  In many cases these bugs are found by hackers who exploit them for
bad purposes before the good guys figure out what they are doing.

Suppose a reasonably large prize of several hundred or a few thousand
dollars were offered for someone who could break in and steal the key
of some remailer on a net-connected Unix system.  Wouldn't you agree
that the prize would be claimed before too long?

> A strong key on such a host is better than a weak key, so why not
> make systems as strong as you can?  The only way to have a completely
> secure computer is to encase it in concrete, cut any network connections,
> and drop it into the ocean; OTOH the only thing you have created in this
> case is a fairly unique boat anchor.  You are beginning to sound like
> the people who claim that the NSA can crack any encryption system, not
> because they have any proof but just because they extrapolate their
> limited knowledge into the unknown and mix in a bit of paranoia.

No, my point is that it doesn't really help to strengthen something which
is not the weakest link in the chain.  My rationale for having a short
key is that it more accurately reflects my estimate of the degree of
security provided by my remailer.  Actually probably an even shorter
length than 510 bits would be appropriate, maybe something more like 300
or 400 bits.  Going to a 1000 bit key would probably mislead people into
thinking that they only way an attacker could trace their message would
be by using a zillion mips-years of computing power or something.

> >Recall that my original comments were in connection with the claim that
> >the government was running most of the remailers.  As I said, I still
> >think that is absurd when it would be so much easier to simply steal
> >their keys.
>
> But the point is that it is _not_ easier to steal the keys.  It is
> much easier to put up a remailer than to attack an existing remailer,
> this is why the remailer system is winning the battle of security
> economics.  By putting up its own remailers a potential attacker
> probabalistically diminishes the number of systems which they must
> break.
>
> jim

Yes, I think I misstated my point here.  My real point was that large
keys are inappropriate.  Maybe you are right that it is easier to start
up a remailer than to break one.  On the other hand, unless you also break
the ones you don't run, you (as a LEA) are not in a position to
accomplish your presumed goal, which is to track criminal messages to
their source.  So in practice I think they would try to break remailers,
and again I am sure they will not do so by factoring keys, even for
mine.

It's also my personal impression that remailers are not mostly run by
LEA's, just on the basis of the occasional postings I have seen by
remailer operators here.  Frankly I doubt that remailers are enough of a
problem to be worth the effort on the part of a LEA to run one and deal
with all of the hassles.  But this may change in the future.

Hal