Re: key cert. distrib. and management (Was: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols)

[I've changed the Subject: because this now has very little to do with

Eric Murray writes:
> Finally, a question:  should the keyserver be able to serve
> keys in a way that is secure from a MITM attack, or can it depend
> on the certificate chain in the key certificate itself to
> validate the key certificate?  I think it can, but I am not
> sure,

The certificate should be able to stand on its own. Anyone can already feed
arbitrary certificate data to you via the keyserver, just by submitting it to
the keyserver in the usual way.

However, a MITM can mount some denial-of-service
attacks by removing sigs. from a cert., or substituting some certs. for
others, or stopping the delivery of some certs. If the keyserver signs
do DoS at finer granularity than the scope of each signed piece.

> so perhaps someone smarter than I can explain why, or why not.

Disclaimer: My decision to reply to your message should in no way be
construed as implying a judgment on my part about our relative intelligence :)

-Lewis	"You're always disappointed, nothing seems to keep you high -- drive
	your bargains, push your papers, win your medals, fuck your strangers;
	don't it leave you on the empty side ?"  (Joni Mitchell, 1972)