Re: numbers don't lie

[ To: cypherpunks ## Date: 03/04/96 07:59 pm ##
  Subject: Re: Numbers don't lie... ]

>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 11:18:57 -0500 (EST)
>From: "A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security"
>Subject: Numbers don't lie...

>In their figures, they do seem to gloss over a couple of minor points:

>The most compelling to me is "how do you know when you broke it ?".
>Bruce has always used the "known plaintext" approach, however using
>modern techniques for messaging, *every* message has a different
>session key, negotiated using assymetric keying so the only message
>that will be broken is one that you already have - not terribly
>helpful.

Coming up with a short length of known plaintext isn't usually a big
problem.  For example, attacking DES, you need to know one 64-bit
block.  In many cases, this is easy to do.  While it is possible
(and a good idea) to build communications software so that it's
relatively hard to get known plaintext, this shouldn't be necessary
to use a cipher securely.  And in any case, if you're encrypting
ASCII text, the bit distributions give you a big clue about whether
this is a reasonable key guess or not, after just a few decrypted
plaintexts.  This increases the cost of the search machines, but I'm
not convinced that this will be an enormous increase in all cases.

>This means that the strength of cryptography should be appropriate
>to the value of the information protected. If less than U$10,000,
>the message is individually encrypted, and has value only today,
>then DES is probably "good enough".

True, DES is probably good enough for the very lowest-value
messages.  But why use something that's barely acceptable, when it
costs you almost nothing at all to make it really secure against
keysearch attacks.  Blowfish, SAFER-SK128, GOST, and 3DES are all
apparently quite hard to break, and they are all far more resistant
to keysearch attacks than DES.

>Strategic information of higher value arguably needs "more" but how
>much ? 64 bits is 256 times stronger than DES. This would indicate
>effective security up to say U$2.5 million. More is better but I
>would not be quite so alarmist nor would I dismiss the cost of
>engineering. Non-trivial.

The problem here is that it's not really reasonable to expect the
users of a secure e-mail package to know what the state of the art
is in terms of keysearch machines, and it's not always reasonable to
expect the person that's sending some piece of information to know
whether this is "you-bet-your-company" material.  There's no excuse
for leaving yourself vulnerable to keysearch attacks, when there are
so many good, unpatented ciphers with key lengths of more than 100
bits.  It's like building a car with an engine that you know will
catch fire if it's ever run at more than 80 MPH, but justifying it
by saying "well, most trips don't require more than 80 MPH to get
where they're going anyway.  In those special cases where greater
speed is necessary, they'll just have to take a bullet train."

>Still, at what point is it simply easier/cheaper to buy someone who
>knows the secret ?

Limiting your key to 56 bits means that an attacker has more
options--if he can't bribe, blackmail, or threaten his way into your
private communications, he can spend some money, and still get in.
(Escrowing your key adds to the list, because he now has more people
to bribe/threaten/blackmail, and he may also be able to carry out
protocol attacks against the key escrow mechanism.)

>						Warmly,
>							Padgett

   --John Kelsey, [email protected] / [email protected]
 PGP 2.6 fingerprint = 4FE2 F421 100F BB0A 03D1 FE06 A435 7E36