Re: What's anyone know about Teledyne Electronic Technologies?

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> >Teledyne (TET) is out marketing a "new" crypto system as a competitor
> >against DES and what TET calls "linear" cryptosystems.  They are claiming
> >a non-linear approach in which (as best I can tell) they are permuting
> >the s-boxes and using 4 bit/16 entry substitution tables.
>
> Dont trust it unless you are a good cryptanalyst and have a copy of the
> source code.  Most commercial crypto products are crap.

You'd be surprised how many of them are doing the "message XOR key" stuff
that so many of us wrote when were, as Roy Scheider put it in 'Blue
Thunder', "young and stupid".  Also, S-boxes are a fancy way of getting
yourself into a lot of trouble while promoting a false sense of security -
they are *very* hard to get right, and it takes a lot of work to prove
that you haven't introduced a weakness with the "improvement".  See "S-Box
Design" in Schneier's book, page 349 for a good intro to designing such.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			[email protected], [email protected]
					214/993-3935 voicemail/digital pager

"Past the wounds of childhood, past the fallen dreams and the broken families,
through the hurt and the loss and the agony only the night ever hears, is a
waiting soul.  Patient, permanent, abundant, it opens its infinite heart and
asks only one thing of you ... 'Remember who it is you really are.'"

                    -- "Losing Your Mind", Karen Alexander and Rick Boyes

The mark of a good conspiracy theory is its untestability.
		    -- Andrew Spring