Re: FCC & Internet phones

At 12:47 PM 3/9/96, Mutant Rob wrote:

>Yes... but the Internet is not like HAM radio. The FCC has no
>jurisdiction outside the US, and it would cause various problems
>for them to try to regulate the use of IPhone or how ISPs operate.

        Question of how practical enforcement would be haven't been big in a lot of the legislation we've seen coming out of various capitals, so I doubt the situation for bureaucratic rule-mongering would be much different. The WP article said that has ACTA has "asked the [FCC] to stop this kind of communications and study how to regulate it," probably--and not surprisingly --in that order.
        It looks like another case of trying to saddle ISPs with impossible enforcement burdens, though in this case one that a lot of ISPs might not mind so much, given the bandwidth that netphone usage eats up (cf. xs4all, I hear, has forbidden users to run CU-SeeMe).
        Q: Is it practically possible to find netphone traffic on a generic network at any level above the source and target addresses?

Ted