Re: FCC & Internet phones

Loren James Rittle wrote:

| >Most
| >presumably use a mix of a UDP data connection and tcp for control
| >functions.
|
| OK, everything after the IP header is encrypted.  I don't even know
| which protocol is in use.

	Are you willing to play Mallet?  Drop IP packets, and look for
duplicates.  Those are TCP.  (IPSEC might handle this, but I bet there
will be broken implementations that save time by resending.)

| >They all consist of high volume, long duration connections
| >(or data flows in the case of UDP.)  Many probably use a standardized
| >destination port.
|
| OK, everything after the IP header is encrypted.  I don't know
| which port is in use.

	Which doesn't change the nature of the data, which is:

	Alice sends long (3-60 second) heavy flows to Bob.
	Alice's flow stops, Bobs picks up.
	repeat.

| In short, assuming IPSEC, the data stream cannot be easily found.
| Slightly different assumptions led to a radically different outcome.

	First, assume a can opener.  :)

	Actually, I'll bet you I can pick out your encrypted data for
the common case, which will continue to be a modem, which can't handle
heavy back traffic flows for the sake of hiding who is speaking.

Adam

					               -Hume