Re: FCC & Internet phones

Gary Howland wrote:

| Adam Shostack wrote:
| > |
| > | OK, everything after the IP header is encrypted.  I don't even know
| > | which protocol is in use.
| >
| >         Are you willing to play Mallet?  Drop IP packets, and look for
| > duplicates.  Those are TCP.  (IPSEC might handle this, but I bet there
| > will be broken implementations that save time by resending.)
|
| Are you saying UDP protocols don't retransmit un-acked packets?
| If not, then you can't be sure the duplicates are TCP.

Err, yes.  Thats the point of UDP; its unreliable and has no
acknowweldgement.

"The User Datagram Protocol uses the underlying Internet Protocol to
transport a message from one machine to another, and provides the same
unreliable, connectionless datagram delivery semantics as IP."
(Comer, 11.3)

Adam

					               -Hume