Re: steganographic trick

** Reply to note from Alan Horowitz <[email protected]> 03/09/96  7:13pm -0500

> Vladimir,
>
> Imagine you're an FBI agent or something like that.  You've been assigned
> to investigate some guy, to include sniffing out any data he may have
> stored in encrypted format to keep private.
>
> You de-crypt the data from some elaborate stego scheme, and find - a
> recipe for chocolate cookies.
>
> The federal agents I know, are clever enough to say to themselves:
> "what's wrong with this picture?"

Really? I'm sure some of them are, but I remember reading in G. Gordon Liddy's
"Will" that  FBI Agents were assigned to check up on novelist Nelson Algren ("Man
With the Golden Arm") who was living with Simone de Beauvoir at the time. Seeing
both names on the mailbox of the residence, the agents filled in the surveillance
form with Subject: Nelson Algren, alias Simone de Beauvoir.

cc: Alan Horowitz <[email protected]>