Re: While browsing the IRS ("Electronic Certification")

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Alan B. Clegg wrote:

They've been working on this for awhile.  The problem is that the
certification setup does not scale well.  They've been looking at having
the USPS maintain the certificates, but I have heard that it's been
tossed back and forth between them and GSA and neither of them wants to
do it.

IRT the actual crypto being used in the solution, they are using the
Digitial Signature Standard (FIPS PUB 186) with message digests being
created via the Secure Hash Algorithm (FIP PUB 180).  Unless you're using
the FIPS stuff, you'd be hard pressed to get GAO or OMB to approve it.

> --SNIP--
> The Financial Management Service is implementing an Electronic
> Certification System to permit fast, secure, and accurate transmission and
> certification of payment data. The system has been approved by the General
> Accounting Office for satisfying the signature certification requirements
> of 31 U.S.C. 3325 and 3528.
> --SNIP--
>
> Would anyone like to comment on what is being used to provide
> signatures?

|      Liberty is truly dead              |Mark Aldrich                 |
|    when the slaves are willing          |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|     to forge their own chains.          |[email protected]            |
|        STOP THE CDA NOW!                |[email protected] |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger [email protected] |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |