Re: Would the FTC crack down on snake oil someday?

At 11:45 PM 3/17/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Enclosed is an excerpt from Edupage. Snake-oil crypto popped into my
>mind.... I wonder if the FTC (Federal Trade Commission... agency
>*meant* to crack down on consumer fraud, for non-US readers here)
>would ever get into act here.
>FTC TARGETS INTERNET FRAUD
>The Federal Trade Commission is conducting a "wholesale crackdown" on
>perpetrators of allegedly deceptive marketing schemes that are advertised in
>Internet news groups or on the World Wide Web.

Sure, they'll be happy to, if we really want.  The NSA will advise them
on what's good crypto, and what's snake-oil.  Certainly any system that
didn't provide for back-up key access doesn't rate......

No, I didn't think you wanted that either....

#--
#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, [email protected], +1-415-442-2215 pager 408-787-1281
# "At year's end, however, new government limits on Internet access threatened
# to halt the growth of Internet use.  [...] Government control of news media
# generally continues to depend on self-censorship to regulate political and
# social content, but the authorities also consistently penalize those who
# exceed the permissable."  - US government statement on China...