No Subject

Brad Shantz wrote:

| I have  been working for some time on a project that involves doing
| proactive file authorization/authentication under Windows NT.  In the
| process, I've been working on an extension to the Kernel layer of the
| operating system because we need to be able to catch read/writes to
| the disk.  (All perfectly legal according to the DDK, just
| ot documented worth a damn.)  All of this is designed to work
| directly with the functionality given to us by the NT-Security layer.
|
| Basically, I'm now questioning the C2 rating of Windows NT.  The
| entire security layer is  modular to the Kernel.  As a modular
| driver, it can be removed, rewritten, and replaced.
|
| So, what makes it secure?  What gives it the C2 Rating?  How would
| one go about getting a C2 rating?

	A C2 rating means that they have some audit trail mechanism,
and some means of authentication.  Basically, you read the Orange
book, spend a few million bucks, and get a C2 rating.  Ask MS if their
rating is valid after you add an ethernet card.  (The answer is no.  A
system is certified for a particular set of hardware & software.)

Adam

					               -Hume