Re: Bad news from Judge Richey

At 12:16 PM 3/26/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 6:29 PM 3/26/96, jim bell wrote:
>
>>Now now, Tim.  You know me better than that.  You know that I would never be
>>so restrained as to call for the killing of ONLY ONE federal judge.
>
>Your sense of humor is also called "digging your own grave." Better hope
>your words don't get to prosecutors anxious to set an example....

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do that.  Even a fool knows that
what I really want is publicity, and that is exactly what the government
would be best advised NOT to give me.  If they decided to press the issue,
it would turn into one of the purest 1st amendment cases that has ever
existed. Worse for them, it would automatically publicize my AP idea to an
audience of millions, which I believe would cook their goose but good.  They
know this, and they know that harassing me will not stop the fundamental idea.

>>Seriously, however, I think you slightly mis-read my letter.  The implied
>>"threat", if you are inclined to call it that, would simply be that if
>>domestic
>>software writers are prohibited from exporting encryption software, they
>>might be inclined (and have time for) writing the entire AsPol system into
>
>I read your article as essentially saying:
>
>"Judges ought to remember that a box of shells costs a lot less than an appeal."

Good line!  But what I really meant was,

"Jim Bell is advocating building an ammunition factory."

Jim Bell
[email protected]