Re: Let's *NOT* "Raise their Awareness"

On  Tue, 26 Mar 1996 , David K. Merriman wrote:

>Regrettably, I must disagree with Mr. May on the matter of speaking
>in whatever language one chooses. It seems that here in Texas
>(specifically, here in Amarillo), a local judge informed a Hispanic
>family that they were prohibited from speaking _only_ Spanish to
>their child at home. The rationale was that since English is the
>(ostensibly, in this area) Public Language of the school system here,
>failure to encourage use of English would adversely impact the
>child's education, and was thus a form of child abuse. If need be, I
>can provide excerpts from the local snoozepapers coverage of the
>issue.

The judge is correct in this matter, most people view it from the
rights of the parents, but what about the child who, because of
his/her parents egotism and ignorance, grows up not being able to
compete effectivly?

My rights, even parental rights, end when their exersize directly
impact someone else(the child) in a negative way.

Regards,
Michael Peponis
PGP Key Available for MIT KeyServer