Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary?

At 09:26 PM 3/25/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 1:21 AM 3/26/96, jim bell wrote:

>IANACS (I am not a Constitutional scholar), but it is clear that the
>Constitution, being a relatively short document, is a _framework_, a kind
>of "generator," for establishing additional legislation. This is, obviously
>enough, why there is _legislative branch_, after all.
>
>Jim's argument (?) could be turned in all sorts of ways: "Your Honor, there
>is nothing I can find in the Constitution that says I can't drive on the
>left side of the road at 125 miles per hour." Indeed, there is nothing
>laying out detailed traffic laws. And so on.

OTOH, there is much precedent for being able to conclude that a
long-established practice is simply unconstitutional.  To name just a single
example, suffragist Susan B. Anthony insisted in  1872 on the right to
vote, arguing that the Constitution guaranteed all citizens that right, and
women were citizens too. Both premises were correct; In hindsight, the issue
was whether or not they were considered together or merely separately.
Nevertheless, it took the 19th amendment passed in 1920 to "grant" this
right to women.

Although my MCP (male chauvenist pig) credentials are at least as good as most,
but not only did she have a point, she was absolutely correct.  Despite 80+
years of contrary history, nothing within the Constitution could be
interpreted as excluding women from voting.  It was merely the practice of
the day to do so.  That practice COULD HAVE been changed without itself
violating the Constitution; at least in theory the 20th amendment wasn't
necessary.  The fact that an amendment was the way the practice was
changed shows that people will attempt to use the Constitution to justify
practices which can't genuinely be supported there.  The lesson to be
learned from this is that "our" government does some things entirely without
regard to the wording of the Constitution, which may later be recognized as
wrong by later, more civilized times.

For an example that has not yet been legally recognized, the Constitution
prohibits "involuntary servitude," but until a couple of decades ago the
military draft was in force.  Challenges to the draft on that basis have
never been recognized, despite the fact that the draft is one of the most
obvious examples of "involuntary servitude" that there is.

>That the Fifth Amendment attempts to make it clear that a defendant shall
>not be compelled to give testimony which may tend toincriminate himself
>(lotsa gotchas, as expected) clearly--to me if not to Jim Bell--implies
>that a "legal system" involving testimony, search warrants, subpoenas,
>juries, verdicts, appeals, etc., is implied by various parts of the
>Constitution.

It is, however, far more strongly "implied" by current practice than by any
black-letter Constitutional provisions.  The difficulty is separating
_Constitutional_ justification from "Well, that's the way we've always done
it, so it MUST be okay!"  It's too bad that many people can't see the
difference.

>(I could search one of the many online copies of the Big C for details, but
>I'm sure you all, except perhaps Jim, get it.)
>
>I'm no apologist for Big Government, of course, so I think we have vastly
>too many laws in the U.S. But I don't think naive arguments saying that a
>court cannot call witnesses by due process because the Constitution does
>not specifically have a clause saying this is the case is going to be very
>helpful or persuasive.

They just recently repealed the national 55 MPH speed limit.  Even though it
was repealed by law, in the same way it was passed, plenty of people have
argued that the Federal government has no jurisdiction in this area.  Those
arguments are absolutely valid, even if they were ignored.  The danger in
giving the government implicit authority in areas not mentioned in the
Constitution is that it is not clear how far such justification extends.  If
the government can limit us to 55, then why can't they limit us to 40-bit keys?

Jim Bell
[email protected]