Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary? (Was List O' , , shame)

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Rich Burroughs wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Simon Spero wrote:
>

> > If the Leahy bill is unacceptable, what legistlation is necessary? I
> > can't see how the use of cryptography in the commission of a crime needs
> > to be a separate offence, but I could see how it could be treated as a
> > special circumstance - that doesn't really needed a new law though.
> [snip]
>
> Good question.
>
> Along this line -- what are the penalties for withholding other types of
> possible evidence from investigating officers?  It seems that often the
> penalites for "computer crimes" are more harsh than for the "normal"
> version of the crime.  Is that the case with the penalties in Leahy's bill?

I have personally been involved in cases involving fines of $75,000 per
day for noncompliance with a grand jury subpoena duces tecum calling for
the surrender of banking documents.

> Rich Burroughs  --  [email protected]  --  [email protected]
> http://www.teleport.com/~richieb --- Opinions are mine, not Teleport's
> PGP key fingerprint:  1F A1 40 72 92 02 DE 7A  80 D0 5A 57 D3 1C 87 86

---
My prefered and soon to be permanent e-mail address: [email protected]
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information