Re: Why Americans feel no compulsion to learn foreign languages

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> There is not a single foreign language I can think of it that would help me
> in my goals or help anyone I know. This is the reality of a world dominated
> by English-speaking persons and in which all technical people learn
> English.

I guess you don't know anyone who expects to do extensive business in
China during the 21st Century.

Right now everyone in China who can do so is frantically trying to learn
English, the international language.  But as China lumbers massively back
to its historic place among the world's greatest powers, its deference to
foreign tongues may be expected to decline.

Charles Bell