Re: New crypto bill to be introduced

At 08:35 AM 3/29/96 -0500, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
>Two observations:
>
>* Jim Bell would be unduly suspicious if _anyone_ introduced a crypto
>bill in Congress. I'm not surprised that here on conspiracypunks someone
>would be raising alarums without knowing what they're talking about.

It's not that I'm suspicious of the wording of this new bill; I haven't even
seen it yet.  What is a bit suspicious is its timing.  Let's see, where do I
begin?   When the Leahy bill was first discussed around here, there were
claims (which, arguably, might be true) that this bill "couldn't be passed"
without the negative portions of the bill (key escrow commentary;
criminalization of encryption use, etc.)   More recently, it was claimed
that the Leahy bill was dead, and couldn't be revived by the end of the
session due to lack of time.  I don't necessarily challenge these claim; but
I note them and I also note that this new bill is going to run into the same
kind of time restraints as the Leahy bill would have, even more so.  Even
worse, this new bill will split off support from Leahy, meaning that
(everything else being equal) it is hard to imagine how this new bill (even
if it is everything we want, and nothing we don't want) will get passed.

Maybe that's the idea:  As Tim May pointed out, at this time maybe no bill
is better than any bill.  And maybe what is needed is a bill to siphon
support away from Leahy, to ensure it's dead, which I presume this new bill
will do quite well even if it's never voted on.  If that's the case,  this
new bill may be a "conspiracy," but it might be a conspiracy that I can
actually sympathize with and support, even like.

Nevertheless so, I would at least like to look that gift horse in the mouth, and
understand the motivations of the people proposing this new bill.

>* Jim Bell says we're "overdoing it on this 'List of Shame' thing." Not
>at all -- we're proud to be on it! And you, Jim Bell, are one of my
>primary suspects for authorship.

That is a silly conclusion.  The primary reason for anonymity with such
postings is to avoid controversy being associated with one's name.  I, as
anyone who's read my writing can attest, not only do not try to avoid
controversy, but in fact appear to seek it out, perhaps even to revel in it.
 Having taking a strongly anti-Leahy position before this anonymous poster
first appeared, it would be pointless for me to add my commentary in
anonymous form to that which I've already posted under my own name.

Furthermore, I've pointed out that there is no reason to exclude the
possibility that this anonymous poster isn't deliberately going too far,
mixing "deserving" names in with undeserving ones, in order to discredit
those people who are criticizing the supporters of the Leahy bill.  I can't
say this for certain, because there were a number of names on this "list of
shame" whose positions on Leahy I haven't even seen.  Nevertheless,
propaganda techniques are sophisticated, and I do notice a suspicious number
of people who appeared to want to "stand up for those people" rather than
standing up for the positions they took.  (Whatever they were.)

The implication is that the people who oppose this "list of shame" are doing
so primarily for PERSONALITY reasons, rather than on the issues.  I would
feel better about the whole thing if the people who volunteered for the list
had engaged in some sort of serious effort to show that the placement of the
other people on that list was unjustified.  Lacking even the most
rudimentary effort along these lines, I really wonder who (and what) these
people think they're supporting.

Jim Bell
[email protected]