Controversys in security

I am currently writting a report into the controverys invovled with data
encyption and have desided to target the current DES system, I have
found pages on the internet explaining the new triple DES system
thought i need more information on the current controversys involved
with the current DES system i'm aware that the key is no longer long
enough for data to be protected for any amount of time, thought i
really need more information to draw conclutions, if there is anyone
with information could they please forward it to me.
                                                                       jason roissetter