Blue Water spooks

	Alan:

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Alan Horowitz wrote:

> Is there any indication that the GRU or Chinese or Iranian intelligence
> (I think these are our only foes nowadays who have blue-water {to mix a

	What about the Allies, and alleged allies of the US.
	Canada, Britian, Israel?   << Why assume that only
	non-allies will want to conduct any sort of sigint
	against human speakers of Navajo.

> metaphor} spook services) could do better than the Japanese did in
> sigint'ing against human speakers of Navajoe?

	Have the Chinese turned their thought towards cryptography,
	or cryptanalysis yet?   If so, I suspect the answer is
	yes,  If not, then the answer is a definate No.

	The Chinese Intelligence Service traditionally has
	not looked outward, preferring to ply its trade domestically.
	That said, the earliest extant text on espionage is Chinese.

> Is the Navjo language still extent among draft-age men?  Life in the
> Southwest has changed considerably since 1943.

	I suspect more anglos can speak Navajo now, than during WW2 -- both
	numerically, and as a percentage of the population.
	<< Some americans do think a second languages is useful, unlike
	some people on this list.   Admittedly, the US still has
	a far way to catchup to the European idea of what a
	literate person is.  >>

        xan

        jonathon
        [email protected]