Re: [NOISE] Cable-TV-Piracy-Punks

At 7:36 PM 3/31/96, Mike Duvos wrote:

>We aren't talking about IC masks here.  We are talking about
>electrostatic charges which would instantly leak away if the
>insulation around them were in the least bit compromised.

The surface layers above the active portion of a chip can be stripped away
and chip remains functional. This includes the outer packaging layers
(epoxy, or of course, ceramic with metal lids) and parts of the so-called
"scratch protection," usually a type of silicate glass.

The active capacitors are not affected by removal of these layers.

>Such data wouldn't even survive the preparation for scanning
>microscopy, much less the actual inspection process.

Actually, we did it all the time in my lab at Intel, and I understand from
my former co-workers that the technology has only gotten better. (This does
not mean voltage contrast is easy. For one thing, modern chips have 3-5
metal layers, due to spectacular advances in chem-mechanical polishing, and
each metal layer acts as a ground plane shielding the lower layers from
visibility and inspection with electron beams. And EPROM and EEPROM cells
are effectively impossible to analyze, for various reasons.)

This does not mean I think reverse-engineering of smart cards or satellite
boxes is easy.

SQUIDs won't do it, either.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!