Re: FCC-type Regulation of Cyberspace

At  9:26 PM 3/14/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
>Mr. Frantz, unless you can prove your claims here, forthwith, I must inform
>you that they are in violation of the Truth in Speech Act of 1996. Please
>retract them, now.

Political speech, not commercial speech.  The act doesn't apply or is
unconstitutional.

>Do you see the problem?

Of course.  Why do you think I said (in the 4th paragraph which you didn't
quote) (ZING :-) ):

>In thinking back over the discussion, I would like to eliminate the
>restrictions without making markets less free by adding yet more barriers
>to market entry.  We certainly need more robust reputation agencies than we
>have now.  I just don't know how to encourage their formation.

BTW - I consider non-free markets, produced primarily by oligarchic
combines of large organizations to be a major impediment to removing
government influence from the economic system.  Easing market entry is one
way to reduce the power of these oligarchic combines.  I don't want to just
trade elected government oppression for unelected corporate oppression.  To
put it bluntly, to suppress the 19th century coal mining strikes, the
companies hired the Pinkertons.  I don't see a whole lot of difference
between this kind of private enterprise transaction, and Ruby Ridge.

Bill

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA