Re: New release of SFS available

[email protected]

> I have just uploaded version 1.19 of SFS to the grumbo.uwasa.fi FTP site as:

> take billions of years to exhaust via a brute-force search.  However in order
> to satisfy the requirements of various organizations such as the Chinese
> government (who need to ensure that no nasty outside influences pollute the
> minds of their citizens) and to allow the originators of the 83.5% of all
> Usenet traffic which contains porn to be prosecuted (a recent example being the
> widely publicised move by the Office of the Bavarian Illuminati to force
> Compuserve to drop all sex-related newsgroups), SFS 1.19 will store 2032 bits
> of the key in the clear along with the encrypted data.
>
> The head of the FBI Louis Freeh has been quoted as saying that "this will
> provide adequate protection against your little sister or your mother, while
> allowing law enforcement agencies to investigate people using encryption for
> illegal purposes".  The head of the French DSSI agrees: "There have been too
> many cases of industrial espionage by foreign government intelligence agencies.

Remind me not to use this junk. Ever.

In the USA we still have a right to privacy. I don't give a damn about
the "needs of law enforcement" simply becasue the perception of their
needs has grown beyond the reality of what they actualy "need". If left
up to many of the worlds LEO's, there would be taps on all phones and
cameras on every corner. Their jobs would be easy, and that's what
they want.

The desires of law enforcment organizations are fundementaly at odds
with a free populace and the actualization of liberty in the practice
of law. Software like what has been described above serves only as
an example of that in my mind.

Tim Scanlon